Browsing through my documents folder I came across some interesting things I thought I’d post. If you look on the right-hand menu, under ‘Downloads’ you will find a link to a short story (*.docx format) I wrote a number of years past. It is about how I met the first love of my life, Julie, in the local pub (The Main Top) in WestBank, Widnes. Sadly she passed away in September 2002. Have a look at ‘A Boy and a Girl’ to see how Julie and I first met.
In the folder I discovered some stuff about writing related to plots and structures of stories and screenplays. Here is a great romance plot from ‘Adventureland‘ (it stars Kristen Stewart) that follows a love story between a boy and a girl – unrelated to my short story about Julie.. It follows the typical structure.
The Boy Meets the Girl Plot Template
- The Boy and Girl become friends
- The Boy meets the Guy who he reveres and sees as a “real man” – the guy is everything the boy only ever dreams about being – dangerous, confident, married and promiscuous
- Another girl tells the Boy that a Guy they know is cheating on his wife.
- The Girl tries to deter her friendship with the Boy from developing further
- So the Boy goes out with Another girl and asks her to keep their date secret, so as not to hurt the Girl
- Unbeknown to the Boy the Girl has an ongoing secret sexual relationship with the man
- The Boy feels guilty about dating Another girl and tells the Girl about the date – he still wants their friendship to deepen. The Girl is deeply hurt and walks off.
- The pressure of being the “other woman” leads to the girl ending their torrid affair
- But not before the Boy gets told by an acquaintance that the Girl and the Guy have been seen getting real close sexually.
- The Boy gets upset and confronts the Girl as she leaves the guys apartment secretly avoiding the Guy’s wife.
- The Boy goes out with the Another girl and tells her everything about his feelings and the Girl and the Guy, when she promises to keep the secret
- The Another girl promptly tells all her friends about the Girl and the Guy.
- The Girl is horrified and upset to find out everyone knows about her sexual habits and think she is an easy lay
- The Girl leaves town to escape their stares and whispers.
- The Boy realises his stupidity and goes after her.
- Boy and Girl re-meet and they both explain their deep regrets over their behaviour
- Boy and Girl end up together.
I love weepy stories and happy endings. I am not a ‘Steel Magnolias‘ kind of guy.