Two months have passed, the fruit trees have grown leaves, the weather has switched to summer (well, my summer – it’s still spring here), mum has been at home for two weeks without visiting hospital (whew!), my cash flow is about to stop, and my writing has stopped.
So that means I face certain choices, namely, do I stay in Adelaide, or do I return to the UK? Sounds simple, and it is, unless one begins to examine all the factors involved. I won’t go into them here (I do talk about them elsewhere… if you know where to look, under my real name), but these things tend to have a complicating influence upon the decision-making process.
Yeah, I could go the airport right now and book the next flight home. That would be a huge surprise to those with whom I have grown to know and care about, plus my mum would be suddenly left here too. Without warning. To resolve this problem I have given myself until the end of November to establish a sustainable income here in South Australia. And I won’t lie: finding a job here is proving oddly fraught with difficulty. If a job offer comes-up before the end of November I’ll take it and stay here; if there is no offer, then I book the next plane outta here.
On the issue of writing, Lilith will be published as a short novel. Hopefully, the brilliant editor I have chosen will stay with me and help me see it through (fingers crossed). Vanguard Coven is coming along nice. The story-line is developing. Unlike Rhesus A, VC is being meticulously planned! I know that when things do go to the editor Rhesus A will be going too. So my man may be snowed-under. Part of the aim of returning to Manchester in the UK (actually, Liverpool is more or less my home) is to get back to some solid writing, the sort where I can hammer-out a chapter in an afternoon. Here with mum in South Australia that is literally impossible – the environment is waaay to restimulative for me.
All this means that the next time you hear from me I may be reporting from Manchester… woohoo.